The tried-and-true breakfast in bed will always brighten mom’s day. If she’s gluten sensitive, whip up this homemade gluten-free batter and use gluten-free bread to make a delectable French toast! Top it with fresh berries and whipped cream, or topping of Mom’s choice.
- 8 thick slices of your favorite gluten-free bread
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat a large, heavy skillet on medium heat.
- Combine the eggs, coconut milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla in a shallow bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Dip bread slices into the egg mixture. The bread will act as a sponge and soak up the mixture. Let it sit and soak for a minute on each side.
- Add vegetable oil to the preheated skillet. Add as many slices of bread that will comfortably fit on the skillet.
- As soon as one side begins to get golden brown, carefully flip over and fry the other side. This may take as short as one minute or as long as a couple minutes – just be sure to keep a watchful eye on your French toast so it doesn’t burn.
- Transfer to plates and serve immediately with a light dusting of powdered sugar on each slice.
- Enjoy this gluten-free French toast plain, with butter and syrup or fruit topping and whipped cream. Whatever mom wants!
Recipe and image Courtesy of U.S. Egg.
For more recipes, visit greenlivingaz.com/recipes