Recipe and image courtesy of Amy Johnson
As we lead into cooler weather, it’s time to start thinking about delicious soups for fall and winter. Amy Johnson, also known as “Mrs. Plant,” calls this recipe “perfect for the transitioning omnivore” because it’s a hearty soup that everyone will love. Find more of her recipes at mrsplantintexas.com.
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 tsp of dried thyme
A few grinds of black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
3 cups vegetable broth or water
3 cups fresh corn kernels (from 4-5 ears of corn)
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 bay leaf
Pinch cayenne pepper
1. In a stockpot, steamfry onions for five minutes.
2. Add carrots and bell peppers to the onions and cook for about seven minutes, until onions are translucent.
3. Add thyme, black pepper, salt, and cayenne. Steamfry for one more minute.
4. Add veggie broth, corn, potatoes, and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil.
5. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
6. Blend half of the soup in a high-speed blender until very smooth. This will be the base of the soup. Add to remaining soup and serve!
NOTE: Double this recipe to fill a crockpot
For more recipes, visit greenlivingaz.com/recipes