Impress Mom’s taste buds with this bright and flavorful salad topped with a homemade tangy vinaigrette.
Recipe and image courtesy of Modern Market
Organic adzuki beans
Blue corn strips
Guajillo lime vinaigrette (See recipe below)
Directions for salad:
- Prepare vinaigrette.
- Assemble your salad ingredients based on the number of people you’re serving.
- When finished, top with vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Guajillo Lime Vinaigrette
1 small yellow onion, cut in half and peeled
1/2 jalapeño, stem and seeds removed
4 garlic cloves
0.8 oz dried guajillo chilis
1/2 cup hot water
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp honey or agave
1 bunch cilantro, about 1/4 cup chopped
1 tsp chili powder, dark
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt and pepper (or to taste)
Directions for vinaigrette:
- After preheating the oven broiler, place onion, jalapeño, and whole garlic cloves onto a roasting pan. Broil in oven, turning occasionally, until charred and softened. Remove from oven and allow about 30 minutes to cool to room temperature.
- While onion mixture is roasting, quickly toast dried chilies in the hot oven, about 20 seconds. This step makes the chilies more pliable, and intensifies the flavor. Trim away the stem, then remove as many seeds as possible.
- Place toasted chilies into a heat safe container, then cover with as much hot water as needed. Cover and let chilies steep while onion mixture is cooling.
- Place all remaining ingredients into a blender. Add cooled, roasted vegetables. Measure 1/2 cup of the chili water, then add to blender along with soaked chilies, discarding the remaining water. Blend on high speed until smooth and combined.
- Once your salad dressing is blended, give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. You can add a little vinegar for more acidity, more salt for less acidity, or more water if it’s too thick. Store your at-home guajillo lime vinaigrette dressing in the fridge for up to one week.
Makes about 1 pint (8 servings)