Recipe and image courtesy of Flower Child Resturant
These adorable lemon cakes are the perfect finish to your Valentine’s Day meal. Make them gluten-free by using gluten-free flour, or use whole wheat flour for extra fiber.
3 whole eggs
1 1/3 cups evaporated cane sugar
4 tsp lemon zest
6 1/2 ounces coconut milk
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp vanilla paste
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice (freshly juiced and strained)
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (or flour of your choice)
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer or with a hand mixer, combine eggs, vanilla and 1 1/3 cups sugar. Whip for approximately 10 minutes until fluffy.
2. In a separate bowl, combine oil, zest, juice, coconut milk and water. Slowly add to mixer until fully incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, 3/4 cups sugar, salt, soda and powder together. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Add flour mixture to the wet mixture in thirds, mixing until combined before each addition.
5. Spray and sugar-coat muffin pans; pour the batter evenly into each opening.
6. Bake in a 315-degree oven for 13 minutes. Rotate pan and cook an additional 13 minutes on the low heat setting.
7. Cool completely before unmolding from the pans.
FOR THE GLAZE:
1 cup organic powdered sugar
1 tsp fresh squeezed and strained lemon juice
1 fluid oz coconut milk
1. Whisk ingredients together until smooth. Wait until cakes are cooled before drizzling the glaze over them.
Makes 12 cakes
For more recipes, visit greenlivingaz.com/recipes