Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino and Resort’s CodeGreen Program Affirms Commitment to Environmental Sustainability
By Jennifer Schwegman
When you think of a casino, sustainability is not usually what comes to mind. But for the team at Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino and Resort, it’s a top priority.
Led by April Stovall, the property’s CodeGreen initiative is a public pledge to the company’s employees, guests and community that the organization will explore and implement ways to reduce the environmental footprint.
Commitment to Sustainability
The company is committed to sustainability in many ways, including:
- Investing in sustainable practices that increase energy efficiency and water conservation.
- A commitment to measurable reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.
- Promoting recycling and waste reduction throughout the property, including the casino, hotel and restaurants.
“In addition to making a positive impact on the environment and helping us cut business costs, our customers have told us they appreciate the casino’s efforts to recycle and reuse as much as possible,” says Mike Kintner, director of marketing and operations. “Conservation is a top priority at Harrah’s Ak-Chin and an important part of our culture.”
Programs and Initiatives
Other programs and initiatives helping with the property’s carbon footprint include:
- Eco-awareness events in and around Maricopa, where both employees and guests have a chance to engage.
- Green casino activities and demonstrations on how to use new technology.
- The addition of thermostat technology that automatically resets the thermostat to a set temperature to conserve energy once guests leave their hotel room.
- Emphasizing recycling by offering front-of-house recycling for guests, with four bins on the casino floor and two large wall displays to show various Harrah’s Ak-Chin recycle facts and energy tips.
“I’ve been a Harrah’s Ak-Chin team member for 20 years,” says Stovall. “The organization’s ongoing commitment to community and the environment is more than lip service. They really mean what they say and put action behind their words. Not only is it a daily way of life on the property, but we also celebrate our efforts along the way.”
In addition to leading the property’s green charge throughout the year, the CodeGreen team helps spread the word and invites the participation of the surrounding community. Events that promote conservation and green living are heavily promoted and attended. This year the employees and their families as well as community members participated in the following activities that included Shred-It and Adopt A Highway clean-up events; creating an Employee Garden; clothing drives; creating Clean the World Hygiene kits for veterans in need; Earth Day celebrations; community conservation festivals; tree raffles for Arbor Day; and lightbulb, plastic bag and paint recycling.
Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino and Resort is rated a Green Key property by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council. The rating system is designed to recognize hotels, motels and resorts that are committed to improving environmental and fiscal performance.
Jennifer Schwegman is a publicist, freelance writer, and lover of all things outdoors. When she’s not running or hiking, she’s promoting visibility and awareness for some of the world’s most innovative companies. firstname.lastname@example.org